Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A simple conversation...after a traumatic day

A- How did Heavenly Father make the earth?
Dad- Oh, one step at a time.
A- So he took one step and then another?
Dad- No little by little
A- Did he build it with wood first?
Dad- Nope
A- What's on the inside?
Dad- Rock

Such a sweet conversation to catch...after Andrew got 4 stitches on his forehead. We were at our friends' house and he was upstairs playing with the train tracks and somehow he fell into the corner of the TV (all through his mouth because, well, I was downstairs). I heard the pain yell every parent dreads and went running upstairs to find him holding his forehead with blood coming down. Lifted up his hand and knew immediately- it needed stitches. It was SO wide. I covered it with my hand and carried him downstairs (go 32 wk me), got a wash cloth on it and got it to stop bleeding. The poor kid was whimpering but not crying- he did NOT want ice. My friend got some gauze and tape and we taped it on and off we went to the urgent care. Kiley showed up an hour later to take over. He definitely could see why I knew it needed stitches. 45 min. later they left the Urgent Care with 4 stitches. Kiley said Andrew did GREAT- though he did cry while getting the numbing shots and some of the stitches (but it started bleeding again too so it had to hurt...). Kiley actually said he got a little woozy while they were tugging the skin together. That says a lot because Kiley has seen a lot medically in his life. It's just so different when it's your own child. I'm sure I'll get a picture in the next few days. I did think about pulling out my cell phone but decided Andrew was traumatized enough and didn't need me trying to snap a photo.

7 comments:

Danielle said...

Too bad for Andrew! Maybe stitches are a part of passing through boyhood. Good for him being so brave.

Jennifer Rose said...

Stitches! I'm so sorry. I know how often these things happen but it's always a bummer when it's your own child. Hope he feels better soon. Sending love your way.

Mandy said...

Oh no!! The dreaded stitches. So sorry it happened. Poor Andrew. I'm glad Kiley showed up to take over. I would have passed out.

Mikki said...

Poor little guy!! Sounds painful. Hope he's feeling better.

Congrats on the pregnancy. I missed this news I think...or maybe I didn't but forgot. I'm lame like that.

Judy said...

Thank goodness for stitches--they are a blessing when you need them! Good for being so brave, Andrew. You will be healed in no time. Sometimes it is easier to be the patient than the observer. Good job Kiley and CL!

Laura said...

oh! Poor baby!! Hopefully it heals nicely

Mary said...

Poor Andrew, hope he is doing much better now :-)