Saturday, November 19, 2011

Hawaii Day 5 part 1

Monday morning we got up and headed out to Dillingham Airfield to go on some electric hang gliders aka. trikes with Paradise Air. This was by far the most unique and fun thing we did!! It was beautiful. When we first got up in the air it was raining so we were afraid we'd have to land. One of the pilots (there's two trikes) was going out of town so they wouldn't have been able to reschedule. So- we pushed through the rain cloud and in true Hawaii style were soon in the sun chasing circle rainbows!! The pictures say it all... click on them to see them bigger! Oh and if you get bored- sorry :)
The red spot in the sky is the people before us landing
And the other trike coming in
suited up- very helpful at 4800 ft! brrrr.
Kiley and I with my trike
Denise (my pilot) and I taking off.
One of the cool things about these flights is they teach you how to fly the trikes and then you get to spend as much of the flight flying as you want. Kiley pretty much flew the whole time. I flew some of it but enjoyed it more when I wasn't the pilot- made it so I could look around more rather than focusing on not crashing (ha, ha- truth be told these would be pretty hard to crash).

Just after take-off- flying out over the water
Pure ocean
The tip of the island- with me acting as pilot :)
flying back toward Dillingham- see the rain?
Dillingham below



the valley- beautiful! She pointed out lots of different farms to me.

circle rainbow time!
Circle rainbow with waimea bay in the middle

This was Kiley's circle rainbow pick. We took a billion, they took 1. Ha-one difference between men and women. Tom was Kiley's pilot-or should we say copilot because besides take-off and landing Kiley flew this baby and loved it! We could always find each other- I had to look up and Kiley had to look down :) He got about 1 mile high!
Circle rainbow over the ocean (this is actually a double rainbow- there was one on the clouds too but our trike is blocking it.)

Me in control again. By the way, notice all the sunshine? Yeah, that's Hawaii :)
Heading in...

3 comments:

Mandy said...

We are SO doing this when we go to Hawaii without the kids! Looks so cool!!!! And I'm with you...I'd rather look around than fly. :)

Kara said...

I LOVE all these pictures! What a cool thing to do in Hawaii- wish we would have thought of it!

Danielle said...

Those pictures are beautiful, and what an awesome activity!!