Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A little of Luke

Science Center in San Diego
La Jolla Cove

Playing in the backyard tree

My mom mentioned (after having a 5 minute conversation with Luke on the phone) that I haven't written a ton about Luke lately. So- I thought I would :-)

Luke got some great connect the dot books for Christmas. He was having me print him 10+ pages for every quiet time and so I was excited for him to get these. Needless to say, he has eaten them up. He got 1-4 for Christmas and was almost done by the end of January so I ordered 5-8. He has now earned 5 and 6. They get increasingly hard and one in book 5 had 1365 dots. And he stopped book 4 just to do that one. He loves them. He is a number kid. Everything he sees turns into numbers.
Luke is a fabulous big brother. At Andrew's age, he had learned how to pretend play from his good friend Maggie. Well, Luke has become Andrew's Maggie. I love listening to them pretend play. Well, okay, I admit there are a lot more guns, swords, and bad guys involved than I remember with Maggie but these boys seem to come that way.
Luke is my helper. He helps me with everything and it is almost always appreciated. He is so caring towards Andrew and always trying to hold his hand or help him outside the house. As we were leaving the community center yesterday some of the women who work at the desk smiled at them (they were holding hands) and commented on how you could tell they loved each other. I'm so glad they have each other!
Luke and I are a lot alike. He is a sensitive kid and we have to be careful not to over reprimand- it doesn't take much to get him back in line (or at least hurt his feelings).
He continues to love books though he prefers to have me read to him despite his growing ability to read. Today we returned 10 books to the library. Most were fiction. He was allowed to pick out 10 new books (he still has about 20 others at home) and most of them were non-fiction. He LOVES learning and has discovered in the last few weeks that books have a lot more answers about things than Mom does. Now often our bedtime books involve spiders, scorpions, countries, moths, frogs, dinosaurs, or anything else that has caught his attention.
Luke spends many of his quiet times (2 hours most days, how did I get a kid who will stay in his room for 2 hours?) playing with his legos. He brings out some great creations and I love listening to him explain them because then I'm even more amazed with his creativity.
Luke has grown up so much in the last year- he is SO ready for school. Andrew and I will miss him next year but it is exciting to see him learn and grow.
We love you Luke!
(and I bet you can all tell I'm his Mom!)

5 comments:

Mandy said...

I'm excited for him to go to school, too! What a sweet picture of the brothers in the tree.

Danielle said...

Luke is so unique and sweet. He looks just like you, by the way.

Judy said...

Wow Luke! What a great kid you are! I can hardly wait until we see you again!

m@R(! said...

What a sweety! I just love the blog...I can know all about your kids even though we don't see each other often. THough, lately Kinley's been asking when we get to see Luke next. I HAVE NO IDEA! Hopefully soon?

Kara said...

Luke and Nathan are so similar. Nathan is obsessed with snakes, scorpions, and dinosaurs right now. His favorite books are the same- kind of creeps me out sometimes! I wish they were going to the same school next year- but I'm glad they're in preschool together and we're getting to know you guys. I hope you get to go to AZ soon too!