Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Gratitude


I just have to share that I have had an amazing experience with gratitude this last few days. First off, Valentines was fabulous because how can I not love showing a little extra love to the two boys and one man I love with all my heart? They are my greatest blessing and when you have blessings like that you can get through anything.

So back to gratitude. I've always tried to make sure to show gratitude for things/ include it in my prayers etc. I've always known it's a good thing and of course, have tried to teach my boys to say "Thank You" when they are given things/ helped etc. I, as a parent, appreciate having them tell me "thank you" and when they don't sometimes I feel like not giving them anything again and when they do spontaneously without prompting I want to run out and get them whatever they want :-) Well, in moderation. So this is how I have viewed gratitude. Something good that I include.

This week, my view has changed. Gratitude is not for the person who gave. Gratitude is a gift to the person who has received. My heart has been so full of gratitude that whenever my mind starts turning towards what I do not have or towards difficult trials my heart full of gratitude immediately takes over and it is okay. Gratitude is getting me through and seriously, how amazing is that? Heavenly Father does not NEED me to tell him thank you (though I'm sure he appreciates it) but I NEED to focus my attention on all I have, most especially the people in my life, to get me through. This is sustaining me. This has allowing me to feel Heavenly Father's comfort and love as I have longed for but felt was lacking. I don't know if I can adequately put in words what this new found testimony of gratitude has done and how very badly I want everyone to experience it but it is amazing. So, whether you are in need of serious gratitude now or will in the future I hope this will visit you and get you through your trials. And next time I have to teach a lesson or give a talk I hope it's on gratitude.

Here are a few quotes that help explain my joy over this new found gift:


"Gratitude is a Spirit‑filled principle. It opens our minds to a universe permeated with the richness of a living God. Through it, we become spiritually aware of the wonder of the smallest things, which gladden our hearts with their messages of God's love. This grateful awareness heightens our sensitivity to divine direction. When we communicate gratitude, we can be filled with the Spirit and connected to those around us and the Lord. Gratitude inspires happiness and carries divine influence."

Bonnie D. Parkin

"You could have an experience with the gift of the Holy Ghost today. You could begin a private prayer with thanks. You could start to count your blessings, and then pause for a moment. If you exercise faith, and with the gift of the Holy Ghost, you will find that memories of other blessings will flood into your mind. If you begin to express gratitude for each of them, your prayer may take a little longer than usual. Remembrance will come. And so will gratitude."

Henry B. Eyring,


"Sincerely giving thanks not only helps us recognize our blessings, but it also unlocks the doors of heaven and helps us feel God’s love."

"We have all experienced times when our focus is on what we lack rather than on our blessings. Said the Greek philosopher Epictetus, 'He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.'"

"...those things which provide deep and lasting happiness and gratitude are the things which money cannot buy: our families, the gospel, good friends, our health, our abilities, the love we receive from those around us. Unfortunately, these are some of the things we allow ourselves to take for granted. "

President Thomas S. Monson

Want more? Read President Monson's Talk "The Divine Gift of Gratitude" from last October's conference.

5 comments:

janel said...

So, so true about us being the ones to need for us to be grateful. My high school band teacher always used to say "the most beautiful thing in the world is a grateful teenager"--so I think that's very smart of you to be teaching your boys from a young age. I need to be better about that. With my kids and myself. (Great gratitude blog in November, too.)

U said...

I'm grateful for a sister in law who I can talk to and who keeps my wife sane sometimes. :)

Judy said...

I think you are definitely on to something here Cheryl-Lynn. I have never thought of gratitude in this way, but it is so true and it makes sense. God doesn't need us to love him with all our heart, might, mind and strength--we need it. Again, it does something to and for us. Thanks for sharing.

Danielle said...

That does make a lot of sense. It helps me realize that life being good/bad doesn't even depend on what my life is like. You are a great example.

Lori said...

Very well put.

And as for the proceeding post- my love goes out to you. You are so strong. Here's to the next due date.