Saturday, February 14, 2009

14 Things that Made YOU my Valentine

One of my friends has done a 14 days to Valentine's with a note on each day as to what made her fall in love with her husband. I thought this was a great idea but since I am just doing it today- you get all 14 reasons/experiences in one big post. These are in no particular order- just as they came to me:-)

1. You had the RIGHT last name!!

All growing up my sister and I had fun coming up with good initials for our future names. We had all sorts of great combination's for me: CAR, CAT, CAB, CAL (even better if I married someone named CAL!), CAN, CAM, CAP, CAW, CAY. However, another thing we always discussed was enjoying our place at the BEGINNING of the alphabet. So, anytime I moved into a new ward, I'd always go through the directory looking for guys who had last names D or above and would give them a second or third glance.

We had just moved into this ward when Kiley and his roommate Erick came by to take pictures for the directory. Consequently, I hadn't yet checked out the upper alphabet guys. We had butcher paper on our apartment wall so when people came to visit we had them trace their hand and leave their name and number. Pretty handy all year for looking up people's phone numbers. Kiley was good enough to do this for us and he left his last name!! Right after he left I said, "hey, I could marry him! I'd even move up in the alphabet." (My maiden name begines with an A so that was pretty tough to do!!). Little did I know...

2. NO DTR (Define the Relationship)

Kiley and I NEVER had a DTR (excpet perhaps talking about marriage but that's not what I'm talking about). I was SO sick of DTRs. Who likes to do that? Well I hated them and Kiley and I never had one so HOORAY for him!

3. He clearly had studied the scriptures

Sometime along the way I started sitting next to him at church (okay it wasn't long into our relationship at all) and I noticed quickly that he was constantly studying his scriptures, flipping around during lessons looking at cross references etc. I knew I wanted to marry someone who had a strong testimony and I saw this as one sign that he did.

What I learned later is that Kiley studied A LOT on his mission (got up at 4 or 4:30 am to have extra time). He read every book of scripture from front to back- including the Bible Dictionary. I don't even know how many times he read the Book of Mormon on his mission but I do know it was lots.

4. I didn't have to pay attention when he drove

It seemed like a lot of guys I went out with didn't pay attention when they were driving so I did. I ended up being the navigator and it started driving me crazy. Kiley was such a confident driver. I could get in the car with him and not pay a bit of attention and we got where we were going. I really liked this. We had great discussions.

Post marriage about this one: Kiley is a bit too aggressive for me. He calculates EVERYTHING he does and I do not enjoy riding with him most the time. I seriously think he views driving as one of his video games. We used to have a no more than 10 over rule (as in miles per hour)- but I think that went out the window. I still remind him of it sometimes but it doesn't seem to apply to him anymore. Proof that what you love when dating might end up driving you NUTS once you're married. I still love you babe but really- SLOW DOWN!!

5. He is HOT

I loved his BIG brown eyes. I hadn't always gone for the brown eyed, brown haird guy but Kiley is mmmmmm good to look at :-) The first time my Mom saw him (right after I had knee surgery when he brought me flowers) she thought "what is this MAN doing bringing my daughter flowers and why is she so happy about it?" Yup, Kiley looked like a man and he made me happy:-) Too bad for him, I think my young looks have made him be mistaken for being younger since we've been together rather than before when people always thought he was older. Or maybe he just ages well:-)

6. We could talk forever

Kiley and I were friends first, though not really good ones but Cris and I would go hang out at their apartment and just talk with his roommates and him. After we started dating, we could sit and talk about all sorts of things with no end in sight. After seven years of marriage I still love talking to him (though we have our comfortable silences too!).

7. We were good at working out disagreements

I remember being glad we could talk through disagreements or even just let them go. This was a big deal to me since I knew marriage would bring plenty of that. I know this is premarriage but I have to say that we are still pretty good at this. We definitely have our things we just have to agree to disagree about but Kiley is SO good at saying he's sorry. This is the quickest and best way for us to get over things and move on!

8. We had FUN together

Whether it was studying, watching Sports Center (ugh did I do that :-) ) or going out we always had fun and it wasn't forced. I just enjoyed his companionship.

9. He was a worthy priesthood holder

His roommates were my home teachers and were supposed to give me a blessing before my knee surgery. One of them couldn't come so Kiley came instead. I know he felt like a schmuck (this was just a few days after our first date. I was SO giddy about him but he thought it'd look bad) but I loved it. What an important responsibility this is and I was so glad he was and is worthy to serve!!

10. He made me Happy

That's kind of generic but around the time we started dating I was writing in my journal things that were happy that day and they always involved Kiley.

11. I never doubted that he liked/loved me
He accepted me for me

No girl wants to feel replaceable and Kiley did a great job always letting me know he liked and then loved me. Okay, there was one time he made a stupid comment that made me doubt this a bit but GUESS WHAT, we worked it out THAT night. No stupid games with Kiley- he made me feel special, important, and loved and he still does that!! No matter what problems or stresses we might be having, I always know Kiley loves me. Even when I'm being TOTALLY UNLOVEABLE- which believe it or not I can be (ha ha)- he STILL loves me. That is a great strength to our marriage.

12. He had been through a lot

Kiley had ALL (Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia) when he was a teenager (I'm sure he'll be glad I broadcast that on here). Anything like this defines a person and it definitely defined him. He had faced his own mortality and he chose to survive. There was a depth to him because of this. He did not take stupid things too seriously because he knew they were just that, stupid things that would pass. He was more mature, at least in some ways, because of this experience. He does not take health for granted!

13. He does things for himself- not so the world will see

If Kiley makes a decision it is because he has thought it out and decided it is what is right for him. He studied on his mission, not so that he could impress anyone, but so that he could learn. I did not even know he'd done this until a few years after we were married when he happened to be talking to his old stake president and I happened to over hear the conversation. I was impressed he'd studied so much and he knows me enough to know that would impress me and yet he didn't tell me. He is a great example to me of someone who does not do things to be "seen of the world."
(He's probably not too excited about me writing this little bit either- since it can be "seen by the world:-)")

14. He had a sense of humor

I love to laugh and like someone to laugh with. Kiley was and is great with this. We try not to take ourselves too seriously. Life has a way of throwing curve balls but having someone to laugh with makes a big difference!!

Well, that is 14. I'm sure I'll come up with lots more now that it's on my mind but this seems like a good Valentine's list. I want to post some pictures of us dating but first I have to find them and then scan them in so that'll have to wait for tomorrow:-) I DO however have some wedding pictures already on here so I'll leave you with those...where all this falling in love led to!





Happy Valentine's Kiley- I love you!!

5 comments:

Laura said...

This was fun to read. Very thoughtful. The driving thing was especially entertaining and the wedding pictures were fun to see :)

m@R(! said...

man, you are madly in love with this dude! Good thing you are stuck with him forever.

Ruth said...

Ahhh. Good memories. I have to say that of all the "7th roommates" I've had (even when they were really only 5ths) Kiley is still my favorite. Watching you guys made me happy. And he as always so considerate and thoughtful of the rest of us, even though we weren't part of the bargain. Hoorah for Kiley.

Heather said...

What a sweet post about your man!

Mikki said...

Loved reading this sweet post. You do have a great guy. I thought he was an awesome counselor when you guys were part of our ward. Of course, I think he's pretty lucky to have you for a companion as well. :o) (and I'll bet he does too!!)

Oh, and Happy belated Birthday!!!