Wednesday we got up and headed down to Kailua for some sea kayaking. We had debated getting a single or double. We ended up with singles because of a groupon deal but I think in the end I wish we'd done a double. I'm just not as strong as Kiley and there were a couple times I was pretty dead tired and it would have been nice to let Kiley do all the work :) Regardless, this was a great- physical day. Also the day we both got burned- mostly on the front lower part of our legs- and bad. We both ended up peeling and it was pretty painful the first couple nights after. Note to self- when sea kayaking- sunscreen on the legs is a MUST :) We kayaked to two different islands. Both are bird sanctuaries. The first was easy and tiny (Flat Island). The second was about a mile out, right where the waves were breaking and exciting to get to (Moku-Iua Islands- you can only land on one). Then we went to Lanikai Beach and snorkeled (and I slept some too). Finally we returned to Kailua Beach.
Island #1- facing the green mountains
Island #1 facing the brown mountains
Island #2- nice beach but no shade
Lava rock on island #2
Strong Kiley dragging the Kayaks back to the trucks
buff man :)
When we left we picked up some dinner (Panda Express- yes we're that exciting) and then decided we'd eat it at a beach along the drive back up. It was beautiful to drive along the beach by Kane'ohe. We thought we'd found a great spot...here's what we found:
A park full of cats
and chickens
This park was surrounded by a fence- and as soon as you drive in- I noticed the sign...and then the wildlife. I just laughed.
Can you read that sign? Hmmmm...not sure what's going on but these 50+ cats and chickens didn't get the memo.
Needless to say- we decided not to eat here. We watched Soul Surfer that night. Kiley thought it was bad timing but I really enjoyed it! Maybe it made me a little more nervous the next day when he went boogie boarding but it seemed like the perfect place to watch it!







2 comments:
What a fun day! I can't wait to try ocean kayaking. Thanks for the tip about sunscreen. :)
What fun activities! And I love the no animal sign at the park. Glad you had a good trip! But I had lots of fun with your boys!
Post a Comment