Monday, October 18, 2010

Projects

I have many friends who have also moved into houses recently (almost a year for us) and have watched as they have made changes. Part of why we liked the house we got is because it didn't need a ton of work. Well, I've finally started on a few projects.


Some people in our ward moved and were giving away some furniture so we got a dresser, nightstand, and armoir. The armoir is in our room (honey colored wood) but the other two will be in Luke's room. The dresser was the cream color though I did have to finish painting the bottom of it. This weekend I painted the handles and top brown- what do you think?
I also painted the matching nightstand the cream color (it was black stain) and will be painting the top and handles as soon as I can get to Lowe's to buy more spray paint.

We got that dinosaur picture (it's fabric with many of the dinosaurs stuffed so they jump out from the picture- if there's a name for that I don't know it) at a craft fair over conference weekend. My Mom and I got some nice dinosaurs at a yard sale last week (Luke has now bought them). I plan to get some wood shelves and spray paint them the same brown. Then we'll hang them up next to the picture (it's a big wall) and put the dinosaurs up on them to help decorate. Of course, they will be functional decorations since Luke can play with them- we'll just keep them on the shelves instead of in a bin in between playtimes. Oh, and we plan on having the boys share this room just as soon as Andrew starts getting out of his crib. Hasn't happened yet!

I've started thinking of some accent wall colors but we haven't started those. Anyone ever painted a banister? We just have the cheap metal kind and I'm sick of white.


Bathroom before shot (from when we bought the house)

This other project is Kiley's doing. Our bathroom had wallpaper in it- a neutral wallpaper but you could see all the individual pieces and in places it was peeling (a little not too bad). He has wanted to remove it and paint it. I've wanted to put up with it because it was neutral and I knew how much work it would be. Well, he started stripping the front of the paper so I had no choice. After 4 hours work here's what we have done:

We did successfully strip much of the front part of the paper off. I'm not letting us touch the toilet area because I don't want to stare at ugly walls until I have to. Maybe we can just keep the backing as our wall covering? No? Dang.
1 wall- we spent 2 hours doing what you see here. Not pretty.
The wall underneath just has the cheap flat paint so in removing the paper we are damaging much of the wall. Once we finally have the wallpaper off- we get to fix that. So far no holes into the drywall but really- this is a tedious project that I am not excited about. At least it's something though, right? I have a feeling my bathroom is going to be ugly for at least a month.

5 comments:

Judy said...

The dresser looks great! Can't wait to see the finished nightstand and shelves. The bathroom looks familiar! I hate taking off wallpaper! Good luck!

Mandy said...

I really love the dresser! nice work! i'm glad you are starting some projects. :)

Kim said...

I love the dresser!! And the bathroom will be worth it in the end. I'm pretty sure a project around here like that would take much longer than a month.

Lori said...

Yay! Projects! (Yay says the person not doing the project...)

I like the dresser!

And as far as the wallpaper goes- my parents removed a TON of wallpaper in their home. They used a little perforation tool that allowed their wallpaper remover solution to under the paper and attack the paste. The remover was called DIF- and the more they used and the wetter the paper was, the easier it came off. It came off in HUGE chunks after we all figured it out. Hope that helps!

Danielle said...

Wow, way to go on the projects! The dresser looks great. The pesky wallpaper reminds me of a product a friend of Janel's recommended. Take a look if you want:
http://www.standifordfamily.com/2010/07/20/an-endorsement/