Sunday, January 11, 2009

Adoption

Our family has had a hard week. Last fall we found out a birth mom had chosen my sister and brother-in-law to adopt her little girl. The little girl was born on Wednesday. As time has come closer for the baby's birth, we found out that the birth father might not support the adoption. On Tuesday, the birth father signed his rights away followed by the birth mother. Our family was so grateful and my sister, brother-in-law, and niece all jumped on a plane the next morning to Washington. They spent two days in the hospital caring for this little girl who they thought would be theirs. In Washington, the birth parents have 48 hours after the baby is born to change their mind. With just a few hours remaining, the birth father changed his mind- thus blocking the adoption.

Unfortunately, this is not their first failed adoption. Almost two years ago they got a little boy. Six and a half months later, they had to return him to the birth parents. This was so hard for their family and they have spent much time trying to heal. So, I'm sure you can imagine that a second failed adoption, lost hope, is very difficult to face.

When I have talked to them they have said we can help by praying and finding them another baby. So, if anyone hears about a birth family looking to place a child, please think of my sister. They are a wonderful family and just want to grow beyond three.

5 comments:

Jilene said...

that is heart wrenching. I know someone that happened to once. Not much worse than that. Your sister and her family are in our prayers and I will let you know if I hear of anyone. How's Provo?

Fowler family said...

Oh Cheryl-Lynn, I am so sorry. That is just so sad.

Take a look at my blog and visit "Leah", she is on my sidebar. Go back a few posts to one she posted about "adoption". It is about private adoption, so more expensive, but maybe your sis/bro. in law will be interested. I have Leah's email if you want it.

Amber and The Boys said...

CL-is it ok if I use your pic you posted and post similar on my blog? Spread the word more?

Mikki said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. It must be unbearably hard. My prayers are with them. I'll keep my ears open.

Ruth said...

That is so, so sad. I'm sorry.